Saturday, June 25, 2011

Day 6-Paris Take Two!







Our day started with a trip to Versailles…the palace of the Sun King, Louis the XIV of France. Louis was king during the times of the 3 muskateers and the movie “man in the iron mask” is written about some of the legends surrounding his reign. The palace is just simply over the top…everything is gold and gilded and insane. There is quite a lot of artwork and beautiful sculptures. The last time I was in Paris, I toured Versailles but it was the same day as the Louvre ad we were behind schedule so we had to rush through the palace. It was way better this time because we were able to do the audio tour learning the history behind the various rooms and royal apartments. The best part of the palace are the gardens with the maze and all of the greenery. Oh yeah! One thing I forgot, the last time I was at Versailles it was raining a river and today the weather was beautiful with the sun shining for our visit to the Sun Kings home

The afternoon is spent on a walking tour of paris and and ending with a visit to Notre Dame! Woo Hoo!!!! It is so beautiful in this cathedral. Makes me want to convert to Catholicism! Haha, just kidding mom

I took pictures of the amazing stained glass and all of the gothic architecture. The church is just astonishing to say the least. Pictures to come…
The evening ended with us in an area of Paris called monmartre. This is the artists’ village that saw the rise of the impressionist movement including Van gogh, Renoit etc. The village boosts another amazing church called the Sacre De Criste up on a hill overlooking paris in the distance. This church is beautiful In its own right but different than Notre Dame. The church is marble white and stands atop like 500 steps up over the city. Once I caught my breathe from the climb, I took it all in and I can see why there was such great artistic energy coming from this area. We had dinner up here and the kiddos all tried some escargot. I was very proud of them. Did I try it? Hell no! I have been a lil less adventurous with my food this time with all my allergy probs from this last year. Trying like crazy to not have any reactions over here!
Tomorrow we head for Belgium!

No comments:

Post a Comment